Pinaki Chakraborty is a Professor at National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, and an Honorary Research Scholar at Levy Economics Institute, New York. He has served as Economic Advisor to the Fourteenth Finance Commission, constituted by the Government of India. He was also associated as a consultant to the Eleventh Finance Commission, and a member of the Third Finance Commission for the Union Territories, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. He has served as Associate Professor at the Centre For Development Studies, Trivandrum, and has been a member of the Kerala Public Expenditure Review Committee, Government of Kerala. He holds a PhD and MPhil from the Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, and an MA in Economics from North Bengal University, India.
Applied Macroeconomics, Public Finance and Policy Issues in Federal Setting, Tax Policy & Resource Mobilization, Public Expenditure Management, Decentralization and Public Service Delivery, Gender and Fiscal Policy.
- (2013), "Fiscal Reforms, Fiscal Rule and Development Spending: How Indian States have Performed?", NIPFP Working Paper No. 122
- (2013), "Revenue Implications of GST and Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate: A State Wise Analysis", Report submitted to the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers
- (2013), "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers in India: Emerging Trends and Realities.", In Prabhat Patnaik(ed.); Oxford University Press (forthcoming)
- (2013), "National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in India: Spatial Dimensions and Fiscal Implications.", In Dimitri Papadimitriou (ed.) Employment Guarantee Policies: Theory and Practice, Edward Elgar Publications, New York.
- (2012), "The Quality of Governance: How Have Indian States Performed?", NIPFP Working Paper No. 104
Membership in committees and commissions
- Economic Advisor, Fourteenth Finance Commission, Government of India, 2014
- Member, Committee to Measure Cost Disabilities in Services Across States and Unit Cost of Services, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, GoI, 2012.
- Member, Committee to Cost Disabilities in Services Across States and Unit Cost of Services, Ministry of Statistics & P.I, Government of India, 2011. Member, Working Group on Government of India’s Financial Resources in connection with formulation of the 12th Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2011.
- Member, Committee for Revision of the List of Major and Minor Heads of Accounts, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, 2010.
- Member, Union Territory Finance Commission, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, 2009.
- Member, Public Expenditure Review Committee, Government of Kerala, October 2008 to September, 2011.
- Member, Memorandum Drafting Committee of Thirteenth Finance Commission, Appointed by the Government of Kerala, April 2008.
- Member, Technical Committee, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India to advise the Sub-Committee of the Council of Ministers of Panchayati Raj Institutions in the preparation of a Joint Memorandum on behalf of PRIs of the country to the 13th Finance Commission, February 2008.
- Member, Research Group on Centrally Sponsored Schemes, constituted by the State Planning Board, Government of Kerala, January 2008.
- Member, Steering Group on Vision Bihar: Resource Mobilization – Medium Term Perspective, Government of Bihar, India, 2006-2008.
- Member, Sub Group on Public Sector’s Draft on Private Sector Savings for the Eleventh Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2006.
- Member, Plan Committee on “Resource Mobilization” to formulate draft proposal for the Eleventh Five Year Plan in the Sector constituted by Kerala State Planning Board, Government of Kerala, India, 2006.
- Member, Working Group on Power for the Eleventh Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2006.
External Referee, Ph.D., Thesis, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
External referee for M.Phil thesis, JNU, New Delhi., 2012.