- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 91-11-26569303
Pinaki Chakraborty is currently Professor at National Institute of Public Finance and Policy and an Honorary Research Scholar at Levy Economics Institute, New York. He was Economic Adviser to the Fourteenth Finance Commission of India, a constitutional body appointed by the President of India quienquennially for the division of federal resources between Union and States. He was a Member of the Third Union Territory Finance Commission, appointed by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India to determine the quantum and principles of resource transfers from the Union Government to the Local Governments in centrally administered Union Territories. He was also a member of the Kerala Public Expenditure Review Committee, Government of Kerala from 2008-09 to 2010-11. He served the Eleventh Finance Commission of India as a consultant. He was Associate Professor at the Centre For Development Studies, Trivandrum in the academic year 2007-08, where he taught public economics course to the students of MPhil in Applied Economics. Prior to this, he served as Fellow, Senior Economist and Economist at NIPFP, New Delhi for seven years. He has worked on various assignments for multilateral institutions like Asian Development Bank, DFID, ILO, UNDP and World Bank. He holds a PhD in Economics and MPhil in Applied Economics from Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, and an MA in Economics from North Bengal University, India.
Public Finance Issues in Federal Setting, Tax Policy & Resource Mobilization, Public Expenditure Management, Decentralization and Public Service Delivery, Gender and Fiscal Policy.
- (2013), "Fiscal Reforms, Fiscal Rule and Development Spending: How Indian States have Performed?", NIPFP Working Paper No. 122
- (2013), "Revenue Implications of GST and Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate: A State Wise Analysis", Report submitted to the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers
- (2013), "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers in India: Emerging Trends and Realities.", In Prabhat Patnaik(ed.); Oxford University Press (forthcoming)
- (2013), "National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in India: Spatial Dimensions and Fiscal Implications.", In Dimitri Papadimitriou (ed.) Employment Guarantee Policies: Theory and Practice, Edward Elgar Publications, New York.
- (2012), "The Quality of Governance: How Have Indian States Performed?", NIPFP Working Paper No. 104
Membership in committees and commissions
- Economic Advisor, Fourteenth Finance Commission of India, 8th May 2013 to December 31st 2014
- Member, Working Group on Government of India’s Financial Resources in connection with formulation of the 12th Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2011.
- Member, Committee for Revision of the List of Major and Minor Heads of Accounts, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, 2010.
- Member, Union Territory Finance Commission, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, 2009.
- Member, Public Expenditure Review Committee, Government of Kerala, October 2008 to September, 2011.
- Member, Memorandum Drafting Committee of Thirteenth Finance Commission, Appointed by the Government of Kerala, April 2008.
- Member, Technical Committee, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India to advise the Sub-Committee of the Council of Ministers of Panchayati Raj Institutions in the preparation of a Joint Memorandum on behalf of PRIs of the country to the 13th Finance Commission, February 2008.
- Member, Research Group on Centrally Sponsored Schemes, constituted by the State Planning Board, Government of Kerala, January 2008.
- Member, Steering Group on Vision Bihar: Resource Mobilization – Medium Term Perspective, Government of Bihar, India, 2006-2008.
- Member, Sub Group on Public Sector’s Draft on Private Sector Savings for the Eleventh Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2006.
- Member, Plan Committee on “Resource Mobilization” to formulate draft proposal for the Eleventh Five Year Plan in the Sector constituted by Kerala State Planning Board, Government of Kerala, India, 2006.
- Member, Working Group on Power for the Eleventh Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2006.
Served as External referee for M.Phil and PhD thesis submitted to Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi; Calcutta University, Kolkata; Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi; Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad; and National Institute of Technology, Silchar, Assam.